Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post THE NINETY-THIRD, In Which Being a Luddite Opens Up a Day Full of Productivity

   Most of my day today was deliberately spent as far away from the computer as possible, as, with nothing really specific to do on it, that would have been a real time waster. I probably would have just putted around on one of the "chan"s or something similar. Which is weird, because if I ever did that, I only ever did that once. So I guess I would have gotten started on it. As far as I can tell, that's like taking up smoking or something. I guess it's a good thing I stayed away. I don't know.

   Anyway, I'm glad I didn't really do much on the internet today. I see kids these days with their addiction to technology and pointless memes, and it makes me want to write an expletive-laden song about how kids actually did things in my day. "It's called 'productivity,' you little [unpleasant person], learn it." That kind of thing.

   I suppose such aversion to technology makes me a Luddite of sorts. Though really the main reason I am that way is because of sci-fi writers. Not because sci-fi writers instill in you the idea that technology could turn on us what with their robots becoming self aware and murderous, but because I am one myself. A sci-fi writer. But you already knew that. We look at the world and say, "Hey! Slow down!" Advancing technology only makes our jobs harder.

   So, what did I do today if not for netting? Well, what I do any other day. Really, these questions are insulting. But, what did I do today with my time of deliberately being productive because I deliberately did not net?

   Well, first off, this, which was accomplished before getting out of bed, even:
I took a piece of paper
and wrote a thousand questionmarks on it
Each one for a specific question,
Each one: why did I do that?
Why did I give so much away?
Do I need to tell you what I stand for?  

   Mostly, though, I arted. I arted a lot of arts. Out of all the activities I did today, I arted more than I did any single other activity. It was mostly just character design stuff, so I don't think that you'll see it here, but I did manage to get practice on my line work in, amongst other things.

   I also worked out some nice chord progressions for GUNSEL (the "please tell me that I'm not a quitter" one.) It's a really rich and harmonious sound, with some definite possibilities for some honky-tonk flair, which is a bridge we'll cross when we come to it, I guess. With my voice warmed up alongside it, I sound just like Elton John (to my own ears,) so...

   I also did a lot of life-enriching but nonetheless unproductive stuff, like letting my hand be licked by cattle and watching trailers for Noah Baumbach films. But you don't need to know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment