Monday, February 29, 2016

I Did an Assignment in Data Quality Once Where I Had to Standardize This List of Nonstandard Dates, Many of Which Were February 29ths, and I Learned a Whole Bunch of Facts About Leap Years From Research for That... None of Which I Discuss in This Post

   Big test tomorrow morning, so I really don't want to, um, spend too long posting here. Sean's birthday today; he's an employee at Data Quality whose birthday we never really got to celebrate for real while I was there...

   Okay, fun fact about why February is so short that I learned today, from Howard Tayler (whose birthday, it also is today) on his Twitter account: you've ever noticed that both July AND August have 31 days, though they're right next to each other? But it's alright because that's where your two fists stick together, just double-knuckle it, so you don't really notice how odd that is, that those two months break up the pattern? They're also the months named after the Caesars, so hmm I wonder if of course it has to do with that, apparently Augustus didn't want short shrift on his month, so he just stole the extra day(s) from some other month.

   They're the two months that throw off the number count, too, randomly being stuck in there, "oh, September's name doesn't make sense anymore, but it doesn't matter because it's AWESOME." Friiig, they just toasted the entire Gregorian calendar over, just like, whatever. Roll straight over the months, because the solar calendar's months don't correspond to moons anyway, so, whatevs. Caesars don't care; Caesars do what Caesars want. (Holy crap, it was four years ago today that I blogged about watching that very video for the first time...)

   And another fun fact about Caesars: I'd totally be watching Hail, Caesar! right now, if it weren't for the, you know, assignment stuff that I need to do. It's driving me buggy going so long without Coen Brothers knowing that they're playing in a cinema so near, but, I'm just going to have to wait 24 hours until the next showing, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment