Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Hope Not

   I got an email notification early early this morning from Google Webmaster Tools. Probably like anyone else with a Blogspot blog. It was just a notification that they'll email me if they detect someone's been loading my site up with malware or something, but, of course, I didn't know that until I read it. So you can guess what my first thought was upon seeing such an email. What would your response be? Exactly. Oh crap what did I do wrong. 

   It's time I make sure all of my legal bases are covered. My use of Disney's name is fair use, right, as far as it extends to Disney villains? It's a very specific way of dying. It's like saying "redshirt," right? Except redshirt isn't the name of a company that very well could sue you. (Unless John Scalzi wants to sue. You should totally read that, by the way.)

   Still, I think it's fair use. As far as it extends to names. Fanart is a different animal, so I'm going to have to check on the status of not-for-sale derivative works of commercial (yet public) characters. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that I know more about copyright law than most of the general population, but that doesn't automatically make it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment