Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Long Cylinders

   I also was going to today post on the new fall lineup, but then James Gurney came to me in a dream and told me to post on hurricanes instead. Okay. (Well, it was nothing so arcane. He just happened to be a character in my dream, and, when I couldn't adequately explain what a hurricane was in my dream state, he suggested I look it up and post on it here. A'ight.)

   Hurricanes are not tornadoes, apparently, though they are able to produce them. (That's as far as I could get in my dream- "Long cylinder.") It can be pronounced either hurricane or hurrican'. Though the formation of hurricanes is not fully understood, it appears that it's caused when warm water temperatures disturb the overlying atmosphere. This is why hurricane season is in the summer. Warm water temperatures. Condensing waters above release warm air, which rises, as there is an inflow of more warmth and moisture from the ocean's surface to help strengthen the effect critically. This rises and is sucked down only to rise again, creating a feedback loop. The rotation of the earth means that the loop rotates as well, which is why cyclones swirl clockwise in the southern hemisphere. Makes sense.

   So, that's what I learned. I already knew a lot of the other stuff there is to know, as I had already done some research when I posted on hypercanes. Thanks, James Gurney! I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment