Thursday, December 4, 2014

On My Oral Hygiene

   Now it's... time for something, uh, a little different?

   I went to the dentist yesterday, for the first time in two years. Basically, I've got terrible oral hygiene.

   Eleven cavities- four malignant, seven benign. By which I mean, four of them need to be filled, and the other seven, well if I'm really diligent about brushing my teeth they shouldn't get any bigger and should even somehow heal themselves. Other than that, I've got swollen tender gums from not flossing enough, and weird white streaks on my teeth (which I'd noticed) which are caused by the plaque sucking the calcium out of my teeth, caused by not brushing.

   If I brush and floss well every day like I'm supposed to then all but the four malignant cavities will go away on their own. I'm kind of motivated to do that, now; it's psychological, how we crave meeting the expectations of challenges being thrown down at us? It's why life gamification (if there's a word for that) works so well.

   I've never been the best at brushing or flossing, though- I never came in to brush my teeth when the family was called, when we were little. Which was one of the first obvious signs that there may have been something neurologically "wrong" with me (erm... "different.") I don't know what it is; I've always thought that brushing and flossing like twice a week is a lot, and just about right.

   But now I've got this. And so, well. Maybe I'll remember to brush and floss better if I do it, like, the same time as my prayers or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment