Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Stepping Lively...

   This week has been filled with things that are "just like me." If you know where to look. While I'm at it, I figure I can get in something that I'd been meaning to get in to yesterday's post but couldn't find a way to shoehorn in. I'm still not sure the exact circumstances that made me think of this, and how exactly this fits in, but...


   There we go. U2 music video. (I've got no shame, oh no, oh no.) That one there is called "Bad," and is about a friend who shot enough heroin into his veins to kill him. I always thought that the kid did die, and looking into it it looks like there's more than one kid-- Andy Rowen survived; Gareth Spaulding wasn't so fortunate-- it looks like the song was written "for" Andy and "about" Gareth... and also "about" Andy as well...

   And so all this time I thought it had killed him... But they write more about him in Songs of Innocence, their latest album (pick up a copy- no, pick up 5; I mean it...) And there's two little words in the liner notes, "he survived..." Total paradigm shift...

   And that's what it comes down to.

   The world keeps coming down around and at you. Sunday morning this week I discovered a major change in how we understand an elder and friend from my mission-- one who would be shipping out for home this week anyway under anything but these most extraordinary of circumstances-- discovered it and let it run... So far I'm not sure the damage- if there is any I'd gladly do all in my power to make reparations- this thing will explode, I think, but so far there haven't been enough eyes from those to whom this would matter...

   There's a way the young elders like to keep in touch, on the mission- we make little contact cards, some more elaborate than others, when we go home... My last week I had too much to do, and my idea for a contact card was too elaborate; I had to finalize it all here back at home and then ship them off to the mission.

   I had the blog as part of my contact information...

   And there's no turning back now.

   Yesterday the contact cards arrived back to the mission for the young elders.

   And tomorrow the January 2013 group goes home.

No comments:

Post a Comment