Friday, February 19, 2016

Meet Chandler (Plus Zootopia Watch/ Review)

   Went to bed past midnight, slept in this morning, waking up at a glorious 9:30. Did a bit of homework, watched YouTube and The Martian; must read that book, but I also want to get around to The Three Body Problem and Ancillary Justice, and, I actually kinda like the ads on YouTube so that Red thing doesn't hold that much interest for me, and... and...

   Dang, man, what do I usually spend my Fridays on? I have no memory of how I usually spend this gaping crevice of time. Sudoku, I think, getting it done in time to turn in by 5:30, but, this week's puzzle was exceptionally easy and I finished it day 1 (which was a Tuesday this week, of course, there having been no school on Monday and thus no opportunity to pick up a copy of the Scroll.)

   So I decided to walk to Walmart. (Which is apparently spelled one word now, though I haven't been spelling it thus in the past...)

   Now, Walmart's Supercenter is much much further away than the old Walmart was-- and that Walmart, across from Fat Cats, is, I timed it once, a 20 minute walk away from the mainy streety place that I just realized I don't actually know the name of or whether it really is Main Street here or not. The new Supercenter is such a great distance past that that being driven there for the first time on the day it opened (Wednesday 27th January, like I told you about in Clickbait Title,) it took a few minutes for it to finally come into view, and it was worrying there for a bit whether the new Supercenter really was past the old Walmart like I'd thought.

   But I'd been duffing around all day, and figured I could stand to burn the calories; the sidewalk had been snowed over the first time, attempting to walk back after being driven up, but the snow's been sloughing like mad recently, and so the pathway was probably open for me. There is a Walmart shuttle that circuits around, of course, but I didn't want to wait for that thing. And, again, calories. So I walked.

   It took me... a while. Maybe an hour, I don't know. But the snow really has been melting, uncovering much that had been covered since the winter began. Like a sign advertising how there's gunna be an Autumn craft fair on November 21st. Or an adorable baby-length plaid-patterned clip-on tie which I clipped on to the front of my t-shirt, or the back of my t-shirt rather since I'm wearing my shirt backwards today (and it looks great!) Or, and this is what I want to talk about, a newspaper page from the '90s. I'm not sure of the exact date, or even the exact paper, because it's just pages 9-10 and 19-20 of a television schedule, for the week of May 26-April 1, 1996.

   Have I posted up the backlog post yet, where I talk about my bookshelf, and how the gem of the newspaper collection is an Idaho paper from 1989 which I found on my mission? It talks about AIDS, and the Exxon Valdez spill, and Ronny and Gorbachev and super expensive super advanced for their time super crappy home computers, which are made up for by $2.99 all-you-can-eat buffets for two (!!!). There's a television schedule section there, too-- ALF and MacGyver and all-- which features cinema times as well, all the movies that were playing at that time. Loads of classics, too, all in theaters at the same time: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Rain Man, Pet Sematary, See No Evil Hear No Evil... Fletch Lives...

   This paper today was from the 1990s, anyway, 7 years after the other one, but even better because actually in living memory for me. Though, only one sheet, like I said, and in a condition almost as though it had spent the winter sitting under a big pile of snow, which only thawed for me to see the newspaper within. So, the '89 paper is better in my opinion, still, though the '96 sheet is just as chockalock of Mister Sandman Sequence-esque stereotypicality of that era.

Yes, this is what it looks like. (I may not have a camera today, but I still have access to a scanner.)
   I looked it up; Friends was between seasons 2 and 3, on May 30, 1996 (and, since you were wondering, Third Rock had completed its first season just the week before.) Sorry it has to be Chandler; the same paper features photographs of Carol Burnett, Sharon Gless, and Diane Sawyer, but I had to go with the Friends photo because, '90s. Another apology for the photo being of Chandler. It wasn't my decision. Chandler was, just, like, the worst. My goodness. Like Elaine in Seinfeld, but with 10x the suck.

   ...Actually, I might be thinking of Joey? No, definitely Ross. Yeah, that's right, it was Ross. Definitely, definitely... But, you know what, all the Friends friends were just terrible terrible people.

   Seinfeld, anyway. Gosh darn it, Elaine...

   So, hey. You can learn a lot from old television schedules. Like, It's possible to air reruns of Rivera Live (???). And, there's a second Short Circuit AND a second Where the Red Fern Grows. And, there's a third Darkman movie (also apparently a second!) And, perhaps the most amazing of all these facts, Darkman III is subtitled, Die Darkman Die.

   Also, apparently, there WAS a Danny the Champion of the World movie made? Andrew and I always wondered why there wasn't, but: 1989. Three stars out of four. To whatever stock you place in TV schedule star reviews. It's on the Disney Channel Thursday night at 9:00!

   See? Old TV schedules, man...

ZOOTOPIA REVIEW
   ...review? that makes it seem like I've seen the movie already. Figuring to phase out the "watches," now, though, and, I don't know, just figuring to go with "review" like a "review" of some Zootopia tie-in merch, but now I realize, clearly that's not how that title comes across...

   Clearly a review, though; that allows me to get away with showcasing copyrighted material, by using the magical power of fair use.

   I said I went to Walmart, but I didn't actually get to the point in the story where I arrived. This is what I got there: Zootopia stuff, silly, some of which I didn't even know existed. Like the Disney Zootopia "Happy Tin," it's a tin full of fun!, which I've at least unwrapped from its cling but have yet to crack open. Maybe we'll go over it next time?

   For now, hey Walmart finally has a stock of Zootopia books now (also this darling Frozen "Big Snowman Little Snowman" book, which tells the story of Frozen discussing opposites all along the way, and with which I instantly fell in love (though I did not purchase, because, hey that's a slippery slope, man; I was there just for the Zootopia goods and that ate up at my pocketbook enough (crack. is. cheaper.)))

   Far and away my favorite score of the evening was, IT'S A HUSTLE!, which not only comes WITH FUN ERASERS!, but also features OVER 40 THINGS TO DO. Puzzles, coloring, games, and more! And choking hazards; the image below doesn't show it, being from the Amazon page of the book, but my Walmart edition came with a free BONUS sticker on the cover promising dire warnings to children under 3 years of age...

Source: Disney/Parragon Books Ltd, via Amazon.
   It's a Hustle! Seriously, this book has so much value. It's hard to believe that the MSRP on this thing is only $6.99, because, phew... first of all, erasers! There's a 6x6 sudoku grid in there, with characters from the film playing the part of the numbers... And the interior is in gorgeous full color, that's the best part. Full color, that is, except for the coloring pages, of course...

All $7 were worth it for this image alone.
   There's also a puzzle endemic (?) to that image: can you find all of the doughnuts? Count the doughnuts! Answers are on page 47!

   End... endemic...? Well, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment