Saturday, December 10, 2016

Definitely Defined

What do I love? I asked out loud. So one of my fellow printing students lists off things apparently she knows I love- donuts, filmmaking, wearing awesome clothes of some description, I think was in there... yeah, that was it, wearing the glasses with the pencil arm. But, no- Castles of Burgundy, that was the name. That's what I love. Still... It's fascinating seeing what others think of you- not just think "of" you, but think what you think of yourself, or however "what do I love" is defined.

Why is there so much about myself that I'm still discovering? I guess that's a good thing, under certain facets of my own ideas regarding personality v. human free will, showing that there's a lot of me undiscovered or unexplored or entirely mutable- but by the same token seems to be predicated on the idea that personality is something existent and finite and defining of who you are. Which of course it does... but I'm more comfortable with the notion of predilection instead of "personality."

When I was a kid I rejected the idea of defining myself- but only recently have come to realize that that wasn't without motive rooted in defining myself. I didn't want to limit myself because I valued freedom to learn and be creative and everything- so clearly I did define myself that way.

I need to realize that maybe I'm wrong. That maybe other people's experiences differ from my own- not in a theory of mind sense, but the general notion that, just because I don't identify as an introvert or an extrovert, that those binary notions are foreign to me, doesn't mean that they don't exist; that maybe there really are different learning modes, maybe some people are auditory learners or kinesthetic learners or whatever instead of, learning just being learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment