Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Sock Puppet Affair, Edward Scissorhands, and the Raiding Party

Okay! So it's been exactly one month since election Tuesday. That's pretty weird. Feels... longer? Shorter? I've got, feelings on this, but...

I've kind of been calling the sock puppet, the sock puppet, sort of as this political thing; never wanted to use his name really because there was this thing and we just kept feeding it. Every time he fell off the radar, he said something outrageous and put the spotlight back on him*, and, he's a sock puppet, I don't know. Just a sock puppet. Deserved to be in the spotlight as much as anything else, I guess, but the exclusivity was kind of strange.

If I ever have a political talk radio show, it'd be kind of satirical I guess, as it wouldn't reflect real-world politics at all. But we'd treat it completely seriously, as if there really were racial tensions between the robots and the waffle people, or that the Sturgeon Generally (a very high and important position obviously, I mean the name of it's the Sturgeon Generally) really is two elfs in a trenchcoat, and what a massive political scandal that would turn out to be (especially seeing as how we're at war with the elfs, like what the heck); in our real-time coverage of foreign affairs, we'd jump ahead decades or even thousands of years, in real time; we'd keep on using the word "entreaty" in more and more elaborately incorrect ways, but be totally wide-eyed about it. Have no basis in reality or anything, just be absolutely bizarre but straight-faced, and if anybody scans through the radio and comes across our program, they'd be probably hopefully very confused by what the heck is apparently going on in the world, and maybe even have to pull over to the side of the road or something.**

And that's how I feel talking about this stuff, right now, this whole sock puppet affair, but this actually really is real politics, whatever that even means.

I felt that the whole Slumber party and everything they did was in reaction to the sock puppet, and then the m&ms*** kept reporting on him and reporting on him, every twitch he made, and even if it was all to belittle him or whatever the heck their reasoning was, it only enabled him, it only succeeded in doing the opposite of the m&m's apparent goal, by giving him legitimacy. And if I refused to name anyone's name while talking about them, maybe I could avoid that, contributions to the trending-ness of any given campaign in that admittedly brilliant strategy for always staying in the public consciousness.

But now that the sock puppet has been elected, I'm really not sure if I should keep calling him that...

So. The new trailer(s?) for Spider-Man: Homecoming are out! I've mentioned this several times already, but I'm trying to avoid any foreknowledge of anything that goes on in that movie because I'm definitely going to go see it anyway and thus don't need it advertised at me- but the new trailer(s?) mean(s?) that I officially have to be more careful screening stuff from now on. Posters might be coming out! Posters with, plot details, on! So far: I've seen two screenshots from the film by now (that's why I'm not sure if they're two different trailers or not,) and, turns out Spider-Man's gonna be in it? I... I guess that's not a spoiler...




*first noticed this with the whole vaxxing thing. He seriously had, fallen off the radar, for a few days, until he came out like that, claiming that watching Oprah cures cancer or whatever ridiculous medical claim he made.

**There was this troll on HLN once (the, figurative kind, of troll) who, when called in to talk about Edward Snowden, talked about Edward Scissorhands instead, and the host was just so gracious (and saving her own face I guess) and never called him out on it, and the whole thing was just feverish, and that's basically exactly how I want the news to be, always.

***never sure what the heck "mainstream media" means; calling them M&Ms just seems like one of those snarky (and in my opinion tacky) satirical misspellings, like RepubliKKKan and whatnot, so...? It fits, though, with the rest of the elaborate metaphor I'm constructing; actually come to think of it if I'm only talking about this because the sock puppet won, why am I refusing to name his political party either? (For the record: Dems are the "Raiding party.")

No comments:

Post a Comment