Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Silent Night

The power went out, apparently all over Idaho somewhat south of the panhandle. Though I have no inkling in the slightest, how you could know that. Cell phones probably? That's a way to find that out.  The power went out sometime around, 9:45ish MST? No wifi, no blogging, so I just went to bed. I woke up right before midnight Pacific time, and if the power had come on then I'd have been able to fire off a quick blogpost, but that hadn't happened. I'm backlogging this post, obviously.

December 7th. 4 years ago to the day, from the first day on my mission. Which means two years from two years. Is it weird to have been back now for longer than I'd been gone? I'm not sure. Maybe. I delivered contact cards to everyone, as is mission tradition, contact cards to all the remaining young elders there, as I left. And this generation of elders, this month marks the last group that would have those from me. The FCHHM is composed all of strangers now; I'd say that's the weird thing.

Moana. Saw that on Tuesday. The first WDAS film since Zootopia; seems they and Illumination (with both SLoP and Sing) and Dreamworks (with both Kung Fu Panda 3 and Trolls) all came out with two films each this year (Dreamworks is still Fox instead of Universal so I guess I'm okay with that?)

Moana doesn't really take off until Moana meets Maui, and then it gets cooking. But what's the deal with the stuff before that, showing her island life as a Disney not-Princess and all that? You could cut that all from the film and almost nothing would be lost. As assiduously as I've been avoiding spoilers, I've got no idea what's up with that, whether there was some tumultuous production and a lot of rewrites, or what, but looking just at the final product: okay, so her dad's afraid of the open ocean beyond the reef because that's how his best friend died, and it's nice to learn a lesson about someone's mysterious past, and it's nice to learn a lesson about not judging others, but, Chief Tui, he's such a minor character that it doesn't seem to matter. Not that it isn't great that there's finally a Disney Princess with an intact nuclear family, or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment