Friday, October 13, 2017

JUSTICE LISTS

This trailer just makes me feel many things. It played before Spider-Man: Homecoming today, finally in Paramount 5 after spending three straight months still playing at Fatcats, and this evening's 7:30 showing (coincidentally the one I'd decided to attend) was free (we'll get to that later.) 



I've seen the trailer before, but this time felt more than

  1. There is no way that this movie won't be awesome.
  2. Furthermore, this trailer itself is just, like, a great one.
Its position in front of Homecoming cemented further feelings:
  1. I am now looking forward to this film more than Ragnarok (the, movie, not the eschatological event.) The irony of this is highlighted by its placement in front of Spider-Man, because initially I was looking forward to Ragnarok more than I was Homecoming.
  2. This is not only a great trailer but now one of my favorite trailers of all time.
And its position in front of this specific Homecoming, free screening, felt me up this way:
  1. This movie is going to be great, but when it comes out I'll need to have Other//half up. Not sure how I feel about that bit. How anyone would feel about the future, I suppose.
This screening. At one point, in the collection of thoughts that is now the addendum to yesterday's post, I wanted to interrupt myself and say, screw it I'm not giving this up. I have this chance with this wonderful girl, and as much as I try to convince myself that, because I see her face in the female half of every passing stranger couple, such girls are a dime a dozen, I don't believe it, and I don't believe this situation has to be that of ships passing in the night. And so, this screening.

It was free because it was presented (paid for) by Princess Cruises and Holland America Line, and the price of admission was to watch a spiel (given before the trailers started) about working up in Alaska for them, next summer. Mostly driving tour buses. But it pays pretty decently and sounds amazing:
  1. Alaska.
  2. A job there.
  3. Pays pretty decently.
  4. Alaska.
  5. A job.
  6. Also Princess Cruises was the line my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles used when they did an Alaskan cruise for my grandparents' anniversary a handful of years back.
My Alaskan roommate, as I write these words, just saw the brochure I'd collected, sitting on the couch out there in the living room, and recommended it to his roommate- "this is what I was telling you about," something about spending the summer up in Alaska with him. So the competition is obviously there, and um, though they do train you (paid training) to get a commercial license, I, um, don't even have a normal license.

But did I mention the Alaska part? And it's only, mostly driving tour buses. I don't know. 

I had been thinking, this would have been perfect this year dang it another course of action perfectly laid out for me that I muffed, but actually, next year would work too. The end game is to get a job at Laika via Bro Keller's contacts (note to self: still need to follow-up with him regarding what they'd look for in a portfolio) but if this works the timeline would work like this:
  1. October: continue prepping for O/h.
  2. November: Launch O/h.
  3. December: continue that.
  4. Jan-May: take one class, train at job, have time left over still to work on O/h because it's just one class and a part-time job.
  5. May-September: Instead of taking that art history tour and getting it over with, work up in Alaska. (Ever since last month, with my identity being uprooted and my questioning my staying in Rexburg in the first place, I'd been thinking of randomly moving there anyway because I can. This just gives me a job there anyway.) Continue cranking out O/h throughout all this and everything as well of course, including presumably building my portfolio to work at Laika.
  6. September-October: Maybe for the art tour credit go on that European one I'd been too late to sign up for this semester and don't currently have the money for anyway. I'd have the money by then, what with the job and everything. Capstone the Alaskan excursion with a European one?
  7. November: See if McKenna's taking classes, though dang it now I'd be graduation-ready so I'm not sure if that would work out; ideally we'd go on the art tour together which would be a great opportunity to get to know each other better and everything, but I'm not sure if she'd be up for (read: have the money at that point for) Europe.
  8. December?: Actually, postponing the art tour till a year from now would mean that I'd be graduating past Class of Fall '18 and would need that Portfolio Capstone class I'm so far getting a bye on.
  9. Graduation: graduate.
  10. Whenever: finally get Bro Keller to pull his strings to land me somewhere entry-level at the third-greatest animation company currently in the business (behind WDAS and WAG, but still ahead of even Pixar.) He also has contact(s?) at the church's film company (he did the sets for the Life of Christ bible videos) so that's another terrific alternative.
It's... well, the whole plan I conjured up, or possibly came to me fully formed, watching that Justice League trailer. Like I said, it's now one of my all-time favorites.

Of course, I need to follow-up on this plan, say, bring it up to the academic advisory center, meanwhile applying for the European art tour in advance and the Alaskan job as well, deal with the ramifications of those, but for now: man this might actually work, and I might not screw my future up for a change...

No comments:

Post a Comment