Friday, January 8, 2016

An Elephant Never Forgets

   I'd preordered the book, and confirmed my preorder with the author's website, gaining me a complimentary bookplate for my patronage-- but giving the address for delivery as my home I hadn't realized I'd no longer be living at for the time period when it would arrive. I hadn't asked for or expected the letter be forwarded me when my parents alerted me that something came, though distinctly I wished for it.

   And by some small fate...


   "Barsk," I read breathlessly, realizing not-quite-immediately afterward that the letters weren't even remotely close to our legible alphabet, and that logically I shouldn't have been able to "read" them at all. I'd been confused, in that infinite half-second, how my parents hadn't known the return address. Clarity and confusion followed by confusion and clarity, it immediately made sense how they wouldn't have been able to read it.

   And from understanding something I'd never learned, then, to a profound feeling, right now, of deja vu...

   I'm not sure what I'd been expecting on the inside.


   I find myself unable to read these new letters...

No comments:

Post a Comment