Friday, January 1, 2016

Dozenal Centuries, Advanced Time Tables, Christmas Cards and the Zoo Year

   Running a daily blog is easier than it seems. Every day you take in 24 hours' worth of experience-- but it's hard in some aspects, because that's actually, like, more than plenty for a day's post. So it's also tough? Sheesh, I don't know. I've got, like, a hundred things that I want to get to, and it'd be so easy to cheat and split the ideas up all into their own posts, blam a week's worth of material right there, it's not like I'm going to be stuck for ideas on any other day of the week... And I know with those several hundred posts yet to be backlogged, it'd be easy to fill, somehow I draw the "temporal cheating" line at posting up ideas I had not yet had (phrasing them in my present-day vernacular is totally fine, though.)

   Which leaves me with the conundrum, which of my ideas are worth developing? With this post, at least, I'm aiming for, relevant, time-sensitive, stuff that can't wait or shouldn't have to. The post today was initially going to be an inventory of all of my pet projects for the New Year, but even that can wait, compared for what I've got for you.

   First of all: happy new year! Happy new century, even, rather. Under certain reckonings. This video is primarily aimed at the dozenally uninitiated, but it's still rather timely.


   Myself, I already knew about the base 12 movement, so I had no choice but to jump at the opportunity to share that video. Here's more from the same guy, James "the Singing Banana" Grime, breaking it down to Numberphile if you would like to learn some more, including what we now call our DEC"tens" in this system...


   Math!

   ...should be enough for that, I think...

   And the thing is, I could leave the post right there, call that good. I probably should, in fact. I'm heading off to college on Sunday morning, which is far sooner than I'd anticipated, and turns out I'm not coming back home once the semester is over, but rather sticking around for another semester, and perhaps a semester after that. The timetable is way advanced, here-- I knew I was leaving next week, but at the beginning of it like that, and then have a break after the semester where I'd be able to return home and work on my personal project that I can't do in Idaho.

   I'm totally blindsided right now, I really... I can afford to pay for one semester's tuition and housing, but beyond that, yeesh, I need a job. It's... it's certainly one of the things on my list to do at college, but I figured that even if I couldn't find one, I'd be able to skirt by. Now, if I want to be able to pay that second semester's tuition, it looks like I'm going to need some kind of income, not necessarily regular as long as I've enough to prepay and forget it.

   So, yeah, with all that on my mind, all the ways I'll be busy come tomorrow and next week, I should definitely probably end this post right here.

   But hey!, I've punched in some better value control on my Christmas card:


   Adequate! It's still black and white; it's kind of hard enough as it is to realize it's a moon if you're not expecting to be looking at that, so I'm not sure if I should color it, and if so should it be digitally, or what.

   And I promised more updates on what I could glean from the new trailer in my ZOOTOPIA WATCH, and believe me I went through that sucker frame-by-frame several times over this morning, piecing everything together, and I think I've got it figured out (Nick's shiny little ZPD badge sticker on his shirt was a real help in figuring out the continuity of the scenes in there, and the clarity of the Zootopia maps in the background is unprecedented so far, so I've got a solid handle on geography as well. Also: the menu on the smoothie stand is hilarious; "rootin' tootin' gluten" indeed.) But, man have you been on YouTube today, with the main page banner ad right there? It's specifically Zoo Year's themed, probably a one-day deal, so I need to get on that before anything.

   There were only really 3 unique elements to the promo that we haven't seen before. Counting down? The third is the copyright notice in the corner, (c) 2016, which is, friiiig.

   The second is the mysterious clip art of balloons that float up when the countdown reaches zero. So mysterious. What's with you, balloons!?

   The first is the countdown itself: they got some, like, interns or whatever, to count down from five out loud, and then of course "happy zoo year!" when it reaches zero. Which you would have, known, had you actually bothered to click the sound on (it defaults to mute, which is very thoughtful of them.)

   Also they got an elephant to trumpet for them as well somehow?

Strange, glitch, or something, when you unmute the ad--
it flashes this image, a zoomed-in view of later on in the clip, for about half a second.
   As for the clip itself, it's been darkened but, it's the original countdown to Zoo Year announcement video, which... did they... were they planning that the whole time? IS that what they'd been going to do with that, this whole time? That's like... whoa. We'd been looking at a jigsaw puzzle this whole time, and didn't even recognize it.


No comments:

Post a Comment