Saturday, January 30, 2016

Film Reviews: The Good Dinosaur and Citizen Kane

   I caught The Good Dinosaur at the cinema this evening. I lost track of how many times I cried. An even number, I think. Either that or odd. Maybe even prime. More than two, which rules out both even and prime. I'm really not sure.

   But I don't want to review The Good Dinosaur here. I want to review Citizen Kane.

   AAAAHHHHH THAT COCKATOO ITS EYES WILL FOREVER BE STARING INTO MY SOUL.

   ...

   Alright, I'm back. Quite shaken, but I'm back. That's it, that's my entire review. I should've put up, a trigger warning, or something, in case any of you actually did see that movie and got flashbacks just now. It's easier to apologize than ask permission, so may I just say then: I'm so sorry.

   Good Dinosaur now?

   Alright, so, two things my mind kept switching between watching the film: oh my goodness these environments are gorgeous, and, I'm not gonna cry I'm not gonna cry imnotgonnacry. One of those was a lie, one of those was the truth.

   Remember Wall-E, the really rich environments and the slower, near wordless pace of the first act? It was beautiful to behold... while you were actually beholding it. I never really thought that atmosphere could really do anything beyond add atmosphere, but the environment in Good Dinosaur blew my mind, and... who knows, maybe my opinion will revert back to the original once I've gotten more distance from it. My goodness, though.

   One of the things I noticed about the opening trailers: every movie advertised was about anthropomorphic/talking animals (some of them actually look good.) And the feature film itself was all about that, dinos what can speak person tongue. Strange? Also, apparently, people still laugh at the Zootopia sloth trailer, almost as though they haven't already watched it five dozen times and are maybe actually seeing it for the first time. Stranger.

   But, hey, speaking of the sloth trailer, have it again!


   Now imagine following that up with the trailers for Secret Life of Pets, and Finding Dory, and the Road Chip; and follow that up with the feature presentation (featuring (not-so-)surprise guest star Sanjay's Super Team!), and anyway now you know what I went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment