Sunday, January 10, 2016

I Wasn't Around in the 1970s, But I'd Imagine It's a Very Similar Filmgoing Experience, Going Out to See Star Wars and Superman Multiple Times...

   Last week marks the first in which I did not see The Force Awakens in theaters since it came out on the 18th of last month. I'd thought I'd feel bad about missing a week, but... Yesterday was beautiful, and I'll never forget it, and I'll never regret it. And at least I flipped through a couple of Star Wars magazines at the rack at the store, and even read an interview or two, so I'd still say that counts?, though I didn't patronize anyone, which makes it the first week since Dec 6th-12th they didn't get any revenue from me (though the Fox Peak Cinema viewing, with the Dolby ATMOS, was free for me, it came out of the Cinema's pockets and still counted as a ticket? Or... or I thought, but I just realized don't know for sure. So maybe this wasn't the first week... but I'm still pretty sure.)

   The showtimes for the 3D showing of Star Wars are ridiculous. 10:40 at night? I could have gone 2D once more, I suppose, but, like I said, no regrets. Yesterday was an adventure, full of delicious Korean food and fascinating textbooks and excellent music, and I tear up a little even thinking about the lyrics to Try Everything. Almost broke down right there in the Biomat.

   Thank you, Sia. Thank you, Shakira. Thank you, Stargate. Thank you, J J Abrams. Thanks Mom and Dad and God while we're at it, but it's getting away from me here...

 TFA is, in its fourth week, *only* the third highest-grossing film of all time still, not accounting for inflation... or, TFA was, at least, in its fourth week.

   Well, welcome to week five, Star Wars.

   (I would still like to see you in 3D, in theaters...)

No comments:

Post a Comment