Monday, April 18, 2016

Well Hey What Else but the First Day of (Spring 2016 Semester) Classes

   My night was spent in dreams of having to wake up at 7:00 to make it to class in time. Kept waking up with dreams that it was past 7:00, so check what time is it I'm totally awake and ready for the day, it's 3:30 in the morning, friiig, back to sleep then I guess, because there's nothing better to do. Happened a couple of times; I just stuck with it at 6:34ish and got on with it.

   The dream was the latest Mistborn novel, which would be Bands of Mourning in real life but here set not in the old west timeframe but in the forthcoming  second Mistborn trilogy, in the 1980s-equivalent era with the technology level advanced. Mistborn-tech internet, in the '80s already, for some reason; programming in HTML5, y'know,  just like they had in the '80s!, and I guess starring Hacker Vin instead of Wax and/or Wayne.

   It was also a crossover with We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story. (Which I caught on Netflix over Spring Break, and it turned out to be pretty terrible and nowhere near as horrifying as I remember* and, I'm glad I didn't spend the $5 just to have it on DVD...) And it wasn't just the first We're Back!, either, of course. It was the whole dang franchise, because as we all know, totally in real life and not just the dream, that film has almost as many sequels as The Land Before Time. The poster/cover to the book was this tableau with all the characters on it; you can tell when they came in on the franchise by the character design, the dinosaurs getting cooler as the franchise went on, with the dopey cartoony main characters in a bunch in the middle chillin'.

   Technically that's the whole Cosmere, by extension, just, casually crossing over like that with the We're Back! franchise. Though it was a crossover with We're Back!, the plot here was more kinda Fern Gully, and the villain was this Smog-like entity ghost-in-the-machine, defeated ultimately kinda like the way Sandra Bullock takes down the Praetorians in The Net, with that bait-and-switch with the virus and having them crash themselves... only here, using that Allomancy-tech '80s era HTML5, of course.

   And I remember thinking, huh, that's pretty enjoyable, I guess, but Brandon Sanderson's work to me just seems to get more and more watered-down...

   But you want to hear about my first day of classes this semester! Though it was a long day, and there was so much more that went on besides the two classes I attended. Like, a whole bunch of stuff I'm glad I don't have room to get into (so maybe tomorrow,) or, checking into the apartment officially and having a key now, or figuring out the deal with handling leftover Pell grant funds**. First day of schooling, and classes are open to sign up for that had been restricted up to this point; I could sign up for a second religion class like how I'd done last semester.

   Two classes today, and also the online courses checked out (supplies for them purchased from the bookstore as well (amount of money spent today: ridiculously much. Purchases that I regret making: not an one. Probability of that being the case had I no Pell grant funds: ???)) Four art classes this semester, and two religion classes, just how it was last semester. Today: one of each.

   Art class: Art 201. Like Art 202 from last semester, but as the prequel. Think, The Hobbit to Art History Ren-Pres's Lord of the Rings. Exactly like that, too, meaning, split up into three chunks for some reason, one hour each MWF. Online art classes: one drawing class (only half-online, actually, with meetings on-campus also being held Wednesdays Fridays;) one color and design class (the art supply kit of which costing a little over twice as much as the kit for the drawing course.) Religion class: Ancient Temples and Temple Texts. Which, so far, though we've only had the introduction to the course not like even the introduction to the subject the course is teaching or anything, already seems... you ever had a professor that blew your mind? You ever had a professor that cracked you up? You ever had a professor that did both? Yeah, it's like that. Though, not at the same time, at least not yet... which brings me to...

   I've laughed and cried at the same time today. This is one of the things that I said I was glad I didn't have time to get to today. I guess you'll say, what can make me feel this way? I'm leaving it as a cliffhanger for now, because I can't do any justice to it just down here...



*I have a theory, based on this and the "Let Me Be Good to You" sequence in Great Mouse Detective, how they turn out watching them now and my horridly explicit memories of how they went down from when I was a kid watching them, that there are two versions of every kids' film, one that the kids see and one that the grownups see, somehow everything swapped out with unobjectionable content with the grownups watching, while kids are exposed to screaming writhing flesh-stripped-off-bones in a family-unfriendly flurry of feathers, and pouting crooning article-of-clothing-by-article-of-clothing strip-off-clothes of a family-unfriendly furry of pleathers. 

Counterpoint to this theory though: clown nightmares and furnace suicides in Brave Little Toaster, just as horrific as we remember them; Rescuers Down Under seagull bondage scene with the needles and the nurse mice, even more pervy than remembered. Rasputin's death in Anastasia: yeah, but he was falling apart throughout the movie anyway, so I'm not sure where that fits in, and I haven't seen Quest for Camelot since that one time we watched it in class in the fourth grade so the true horror of Ol' Excaliburhand's unraveling also remains up in the air. 

**I think that that might explain the discrepancy between how the money arrived the first semester and how it was done this semester-- the Pell Grant from last semester didn't actually get used into my Pell grant "fund" slot, and thus all came "back" to me as a "refund" check in the mail? This semester it got to me in time, and could be used directly to pay for tuition without me as an intermediary. It would make sense, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment