Monday, April 4, 2016

Living in the Future (and the Future Sucks)

   We're living in the future. That's what they said in my Pearl of Great Price class when they say my painted nails; that's what I've been thinking on a lot today. We live in the future and it sucks.

   It's finals, and the line into the testing center, I saw as I was trying to make my way through, goes from the center, down the hall, up the stairs, loops around the cafeteria, down the stairs and back up again somehow, and extends almost all the way into the library where it ends, or begins, or however we describe our queuing terminology. I'd read an article on Bitcoins in WIRED just before passing through, and was thinking a lot about the future of this technology, and applications of "mining" and crowdsourcing, so even this line, with its people in it, seemed high-tech and futuristic. But long lines for finals isn't why the future sucks, of course.

   From there, squirting through holes in the folding-back-in-on-itself line (there's a fancy word for that, but it's slipping from my grasp right now) I passed through the university bookstore. Looking at the GoPros, maybe I want to be a YouTuber or something, do YouTube reviews of YouTube reviews of Zootopia; this is the future; I look and I see behind that there's Samsung VR Oculus technology now on display, (didn't Google have this thing with Cardboard?) which I don't check out because this is the future and the future already sucks. I barely even know what Instagram is, and now you're throwing VR at me, world?

   Of course, the only reason I read the news is for the interesting stories; 99% of time current events either pass into common knowledge soon enough, or wind up not mattering in the end.

   Do I have more to say? Is 24 the new 60? I have no classes tomorrow morning, which means I can get on some serious final-ing (no actual finals here, anymore, though, just more homework. And finals, of course.)

IMAGINING ZOOTOPIA WATCH
   The documentary Imagining Zootopia, 2 years in the making, premieres tomorrow night at 8 pm on Fusion! A Disney-owned network, so this is like 100% legit.

1 comment: