Saturday, April 23, 2016

Making Course Course Corrections (Plus, How to Force Yourself into Commitment)

   Today was the first day since this happened where I could be plasmapheresed again. You need to have a lot of protein in your blood if you want to be able to do that, of course, and that means eating something protein-y. Which I didn't get this morning, and so for a bit it was all, well I don't need this done right away. But I had time for it, and so I forced myself into it by buying protein bars when I was at the bookstore. Well, I've got these protein bars so I might as well eat them; well, my protein levels are up, so I might as well head into the Biomat.

   That's how I operate, apparently? Have a vague idea of the future, force myself down that path, stick to it because at that point I might as well. It's a lot like the function of all the Zootopia merch I've bought, or the other stuff I purchased at the bookstore at the same time as the protein bars: the binder and reading materials for my new religion course, taking a core religion course now and dropping religion-credit-offering-only Family History. Investing heavily in the new course and course of action, not giving myself time to balk. I mentioned how my religion courses this semester were good for being credit hours, hours doing what it sounds like in taking up time, and were thus further tasks needing to be completed through the week. As if I'm not busy enough already, but

  1. Eternal Family actually takes a lot more time to complete the work on than the other class, and
  2. I'm really not all that busy, I just vacillate between abject panic regarding coursework and totally ignoring doing the coursework. It's like procrastination, but spread out instead of all at the beginning. And that takes up a lot of time.
   Regretting switching classes like that comes and goes; right now it's gone, though, and I don't think it's coming back. The professor's got a relaxed timetable for those of us who added the course late, in which we can make up the assignments that we missed this week, so it's nice to know that I'm not only not the only one in this boat, but also that the professor cares about us.

   Dropping Family History was hard, and at first it was like, I don't care if I don't need these courses, having religion class in the middle of all this art stuff keeps me sane. But crunching the credits, I'd need a whole semester just for one course, for my degree, if I kept the workload as uneven as it would be without changing anything. The rest of the credits that semester would be just, puff, I guess. Or I could spread out the puff and the requirements between two semesters, which would at least give me an extra semester which I could use to prepare for the BFA thing, but that's hardly elegant. 

   Though, "hardly elegant" isn't really that strong of an argument against it; I mean it's my BFA application we're talking about here, which can only be submitted twice so make it good, and I'd hate to go in a semester premature because I was too proud to have a bunch of puff credits. I suppose going one semester more than the next is still on the table; I'd have to take up the idea with my faculty mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment