Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Well Hey What Else but the Second Day of Classes! ...A Lot Else? Alright.

   I sat in the Burg for a few hours today, finishing off THAT THING I was telling you about yesterday that I said I'd get to. The Burg is this hamburger place, in this, what's the name of that kind of building... Hold on, I've got the power of Google Maps, here's a picture. And here's one of the Hogi Yogi in 2008, and Shake On in 2012, and I guess that's the way buildings work, that the Moxie building next door to it as well, used to be a Freedom building, and before that Craigo's Pizza, and, time travel using Street View is mind-bending stuff. Like that one car chase in Déjà Vu, only, sans car chase?

   Jimmy had a public reading of his creative writing project back on the 5th, which I'd told him I'd make it to but happened to be exactly when my Art 130 project was due... gosh that project; I gave myself a two-hour cushion time to print everything out and mount it, which would surely be more than enough time, right?, but, see you get things done early in case things go wrong, and then things go wrong, and it's down to the wire, and at least you started early and could afford the blows...

   So I couldn't make it there then, but I was there today. And had to grab my order as soon as it arrived and rush to Family History class*, making it barely in time for class. And I played the piano (terribly) for the class there**. And went back to the Burg once class was over.

   The song "Stressed Out" by twenty one pilots came on the radio not one time but two, while I was there. During spring break at home when we had access to Hannah's twenty one pilots albums, we listened to them-- because, it's so weird having their songs on the radio, with only one song at a time (and only the popular ones,) when we're so used to listening to the songs in their albums in context.†

   mm...

   I really like the footnotes of yesterday's post. Thought I'd continue them here... I really do elaborately tangent, and fairly frequently. Heck, there's a lot in the body of this post that's a tangent... actually, what even IS the direct point of this post, I think it's ALL tangents... The direct point of this post had been going to be THAT THING, but I guess I didn't even talk about it at all, aside from, tangentially... Well, for extra-tangential tangents, read the footnotes too, I guess.




 *I'd been going to sign up for my second religion class as an online course, but there was a single slot open in an on-campus class Tues/Thurs which was totally doable, because the only other class today is typography, so I signed up for the on-campus class. Plus online courses are not as cakey as they sound.

**I practiced the piano a bunch today, after that incident, using the piano in the classroom where Animation Workshop is held after teaching that this evening (unofficially-- I never did get that paperwork to become a workshop head...) My heading of the workshop was, vaguely more competent than my pianism, vaguely. Really I just showed up to see if anything would be going on... and so did three other people.

†That's what we're used to, at least, but I'm not sure if "context" is the right word for it... The way we (as a culture) treat music is so weird... corral it into albums, plaster it up on the radio, restrict its production to the artesans... raises the question, put that way, what is the "natural" way to treat music? And... musical theater, I think? Music as self-expression, characters singing about their feelings. It's one of the only natural music mode in Western culture. I feel, aside from hymn singing.

‡oh oh oh!!! and also: the power went out while I was shopping at Broulims today! That was random. And there was this fondue party, and I saw a squirrel I guess, and not only is an elder from my mission in my family history class there's another one in my animation workshop, and I actually got time to read more Homestuck today, and I downloaded Firefox, and I figured out how to work the projector for Animation Workshop only after it was already over but at least now we know for next time, and, man, today was about as eventful as yesterday, almost! Including stuff I refuse to tell you about!

2 comments:

  1. That thing, I need to know! Hm, I thought you were pretty good at piano...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody's good, playing in front of 64 people on a hymn they'd only thought that they'd practiced.

      Delete