Saturday, June 25, 2016

CBW Idaho Falls Trip II

I hope that getting that project worked on, as detailed in yesterday's post, was worth it. Because finishing that up just before 11:30 local time, then turning around just after to realize that I'd had three separate assignments for my Eternal Families class due 11:30 which I'd managed to overlook, I am just... not very good at getting assignments turned in for that class. What's the policy on late work, I'm going to have to look up again...

Today was the semestural (like annual except once a semester I guess?) Comic Book Workshop trip up to Idaho Falls. I've been anticipating this day for weeks, months even. Because here in Idaho, going from a smallish city to a slightly largerish city is a major occasion (though the size of Idaho Falls sure beats the crap out of the size of any of our little cities in northern Nevada... barring, you know, the biggest.)

I've been saving up my money for a couple of weeks too. Selling my blood plasma as frequently as I can, not buying any groceries for a couple of weeks. This week and last, they've had a (promotion?) thing where you get an extra $10 for donating the second time in a week, and I tried to get all over that. Made sure to get in there yesterday morning, just in case something went wrong like if my protein levels were too low, and I wouldn't have been able to donate (and make that sweet moolah) yesterday, I'd be able to go in today, this morning before the trip.

Which, turns out to be exactly what happened. Having that food from the picnic, the last of my fish and SPAM and yogurt, all for breakfast to make sure that I'd have enough blood protein... my blood protein levels were 1% of a (gram? milliliter? whatever unit of measurement they use?) too low, and, so... well, luckily I'd planned for this; that's why I'd gone in on Friday. I could still go in this morning, just making sure to wake up early to have breakfast and ensure a spot in line that would get me through before the departure time of 10:00.

Only, now I had no food left, to make sure my protein levels were within parameters. So. It cut me to do so, but this was an investment; I spent $10 on really fancy super-high-in-protein protein bars; the extra $10 bonus for the second donation in the week was just on top of the added regular bonus for the second donation in a week. With the awesome protein bars for breakfast, there was no way I'd have that problem this morning.

My hemoglobin* levels this time, rather, were 1% under parameter. Which I didn't even know was a thing they tested for.

Well.

Like Skottie Young has Gertrude say in "I Hate Fairyland," fluff my life.

That's alright, though. I still had... other money... just, y'know... not two-bonuses-on-top-of-each-other money. So, that's okay. Now just to figure out what to do with the couple hours' worth of time I hadn't foreseen being free. Just, whatever. Work on a project or two, get a haircut you want to look nice you're going out. The time passes well enough, and I'm out the door 9:35 to make sure I'm there (the Spori building literally just across the street from where I live) on time by 10:00.

And we can't go. There's only one ride, and we need at least two, and we don't want to leave half the people behind, going together or not at all, and our second ride is absolutely nowhere to be found and totally incommunicado.

Like Skottie Young has Rocket say in "Rocket Raccoon," krag my life.

There's texting and emailing going on, last-ditch efforts to see if any of our bevehicled roommates is awake yet and also without anything planned for the morning, but meanwhile we're preparing ourselves to be let down gently if it turns out those fall through, but it wouldn't even matter if three of us drop out, and I'm put at a dilemma: there's a whole chunk of money, more than $50's worth, that I don't have right now** ($50's? Or would it be... $50'...? because, that'd be pronounced, "fifty dollars," which would take a postpositional apostrophe, plural with an "s" already, but, the dollar sign is put prepositionally...) The dilemma comes from this: meanwhile, Rob Daviau's SeaFall from Plaid Hat Games is now available for preorder, which is gonna be sickdope, and Plaid Hat Games offers free shipping for orders greater than $100 which is all right because there's also new Ashes stuff to get not to mention the new Dead of Winter expansion, so... do I really need to spend my money at Hastings and Barnes and Noble and wherever we go to eat, or do I just drop out even though I've been looking forward to another trip to Idaho Falls since basically last semester?

I don't think it was our very last last-ditch effort that paid off, but the story's more dramatic that way so let's say yes.

Our ver last-ditch effort pays off. And we have a second ride.

We'd planned on leaving 10:00; 11:25 was our actual departure time.

We ate at 5 Guys, is where we wound up going. That "yeaah yeaah yeaah yeaah" song the internet depicts as He-Man singing and whose name slips my mind right now, that plays on the radio while we're in line. There's a good solid decent explanation why we didn't crash Taylor's family's picnic either, which also slips my mind, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had to do with the interest of time.

We go to Hastings first. I can't tell whether that place is heaven or hell. There was Zootopia merch there that I didn't even know existed. My aching wallet. I had to pass up on anything non-Zootopia there. The Marvel TPBs I caught at Barnes and Noble for a better deal anyway, but for now, it looks like I don't have a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum. Or Ke$ha's Warrior, even though that was on sale and I probably won't find for cheaper anywhere else. That's a (surprisingly?) fluffing good album (Born This Way wasn't the only album I checked out from the library experimenting with music taste.)

Aside from the TPBs and the merch stuff, from Barnes and Noble I also got a copy of "Storm Front" by Jim Butcher. Because holy crap Harry Dresden.

What merch did I score, anyway? POP Vinyls, 2 of 'em, 'cause BOGO 50% off (though no actual, you know, Bogo.) Nick and Flash; Flash was also one of my two Funko Mystery Minis. Also, a couple of those little action figures that come two to a pack, one larger and posable and the other smaller and not. I got one that didn't appear to be anywhere at Walmart, McHorn and "Safety Squirrel"; I also misestimated the other one that I don't have yet, and got another Clawhauser and "Bat Eyewitness" instead of the Kevin and Mr Big that was also available there (really, though, can you have too much Clawhauser?) Speaking of Mr Big, there was also a plush of him (which I don't think I knew existed though actually I may already also own,***) and he was the other of my two Funko Mystery Minis. Nick and Judy hats, and Nick and Judy doll that say things when you press them, and... I'd thought that people were going to tell me that I have a problem, when they saw all the stuff I got, but the comments were more along the lines of, how awesome I am.

I'll accept that.

Not to mention the new books. A couple I already own, as well, though not in these new formats.
Barnes and Noble exclusive edition of the Junior Novelization? Yes please.

I've been gearing up for this for a semester, saving up for it for, as long as I'd thought I'd be able to get away with it. They expressed feelings of, how they wished they had the kind of money I do, but it's all in money allocation (it's called, I eat a lot of oatmeal (fiber ftw.)) Also, when crap goes bad at the Biomat for me, it's usually a less-than, like the one last week I didn't tell you about till now because, it's just a less-than, and I'm still able to donate again within 8 weeks unless another one happens. Poor Mica; got a greater-than yesterday and won't be able to donate for a couple of months...

Other stuff that happened today: Mica GMs Mutants and Masterminds, which is like D&D but with superheroes. They told us about it on the car trips, and, told us where they hold it and invited us to drop by. From 5:00 till 7:00 I did just that. They had a character pre-supplied for me: Sentinel, the flying brick (not literally, of course; that'd be weird.) It was pretty dang fun; maybe I'll be back next week. But that's a week from now.


For now, though. It's going to take a while ('specially with the $50+ I didn't earn this week and the $50+ I'm going to spend on Plaid Hat) to refill my spending pool; it's going to be a mad scramble to get my Color and Design homework done at the same time as the other art for the card project; it's probably going to be living sheol to make up all the dang Eternal Family class stuff I've missed over the semester. But for now, life is good, I don't / won't regret any / many of my purchases, and I forget the third thing, but I'm fairly certain it had something to do with naps.




*EDIT: I meant hematocrit. 
** $60+ of course, counting the money spent on those ultraprotein bars that did no good because the protein wasn't the problem.
***I don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment