Thursday, March 16, 2017

Yeah, I Got In a Round or Two of Avalon

I was the assassin, the guy to my right was Mordred. I was King first, the chooser of quest makeups, which position advances clockwise. To my left was a string of four loyal Arthurians, before it circled around to Mordred again.

The next four kings would have all been good guys- so I had to send Mordred, or myself in retrospect, to get in a sabotage the first quest. Which means that everyone would know one of the two on the first mission is bad, but I'm basically forced into that situation. I as the assassin can still hope to take Merlin out, even if we fail in sabotaging the quests. I send Mordred, and the guy to his right, and realize my mistake too late- nobody would have any suspicions of us if I choose good guys, who would then choose us bad guys in their turns as king, is one of many other ways I could have played it. But like I said, it'd be good guys picking the questing teams for the next four rounds, so I have to choose Mordred to go out, and hope he realizes not to actually sabotage the mission, which he won't, because he has no choice.

First quests are seldom rejected, so it goes through, and Mordred does the only thing he can do by putting in a fail. The other guy in the quest knows who the bad guy is- and from the way he says it, makes me suspect that he's Merlin, now discovered the identity of Mordred. The rest of the quests proceed, and they now know to avoid those two, at least, in a six-player game. Which leaves the identity of the final baddie up in the air- the good guy in the middle, of the group of three to my left before it's "Merlin" and Mordred again, singles me out hypothetically as the bad guy- if this quest of three fails, we know that the other one who didn't go on it must be the good guy. Say it's us three, and he's the bad guy, indicating me. From this Mordred suspects that that one in the middle of the three is Merlin, because he knows I'm a bad guy.

The quests succeed, evil fails but I as the assassin can still take Merlin out and have our team win- I announce "Merlin" as Merlin, but Mordred tells me he thinks differently. I bow to his dark will... and turns out I was right, and my suspicions were correct. So, Avalon metagame moral: if you're evil, never send Mordred on the first quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment