Thursday, November 16, 2017

Eritrea, Caesurae, & um Ordet again I guess

Doing some thinking, the slash marks do represent path parts in URLs. The double slash is restricted solely as a separator between scheme and authority parts, though, so there wouldn't be able to be an http://oth.er//half, just an http://oth.er/half, which just isn't the same. And though there is a .er, it belongs to a tiny African nation so small I've never seen it on any map before, located on the horn between Ethiopia and Somalia, which doesn't use its own top-level domain anyway and actually allegedly has an even worse media freedom track record than North Dang Korea. So that's a double-shot shut-down.

There are a lot of cool ways to pronounce "/" though, so maybe I'd be able to name the website after that instead. Virgula, Shilling, Solidus, the list goeth onward and onward. Caesura, kind of, if you want to indicated both slashes at the same time. That'd be dope.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_(punctuation)#Alternative_names
That hash mark in the above URL is also a great example of the introduction of a fragment identifier, as long as we're talking about punctuation allowed in URLs. Anyway.

Taylor, who runs comic book workshop, really likes the New 52, and the Man of Steel movie, and has been told he's somehow not a true comic book fan for doing so, even though he's like the biggest comic book nerd most of us will have the pleasure of knowing. He had a big "rant" about this at the beginning of the workshop yesterday evening, which I walked in late for (getting in right after it wrapped up) but which I picked up the details of later (I was a few minutes late because I was working on my novel and also waiting around for baby news, but, realizing it would have been my O/h launch date if not for the first thing, I set off for workshop in spite of the second thing. I've got my email on my phone anyway so I didn't really miss anything in that department.) 

Like what you like, basically the moral of the rant boiled down to. I'm not sure if what comes next is a caveat to that, or a separate point entirely.

If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things, Joseph Smith said, speaking for the values of the whole church. The workshop part of the workshop wrapped up ten minutes early so Taylor could give a lesson on that- there are two sliding scales, one of morality and one of quality, and ideally the media we consume should be on the high end of both those scales, not just one or the other. 

It's part of what makes Ordet such a great movie, is how it's high-quality but also really boldly Christian, though I use the word with some reservations. Most Christian entertainment is, well, Christian entertainment, you see-- but Ordet is, more like, an excellent movie about Christians, that also happens to have one or two major miracles brought on from simple childlike faith.

Um yeah, just a couple follow-ups from yesterday's post, and I guess nothing really happened today. It rained all day. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment