Friday, November 24, 2017

Weird Kids' Videos and Gaming the Algorithm

'Tubing is apparently one of my all-time most popular posts?; in it I embed a video about really weird and disturbing YouTube kids' videos, and why they're weird and disturbing. Another YouTuber I subscribe to and would totally do a crossover with if my own channel gets big enough for that*, Dan Olson of Folding Ideas, put out a fresh video on the same subject two days ago, getting more in-depth about how these videos exploit the system and rake in views and ad revenue. I would have posted about it yesterday, but that's when my own video went up, and these things need their own posts**.




Is the knowledge that such things exist in the world, books that are designed to sell copies but not actually be read, videos designed to get views but not actually say anything, games designed 100% to be addictive 0% to be fun, is that depressing for those of us who write books to be read, create films and video to be consumed and enjoyed and to say things, design games to be played and to be good? 

There's a lot of noise in the world, and non-noise doesn't rise to the top by itself. It requires the help of good people, with reliable taste.

So anyway I've felt totally kind of naked all day because my Fitbit battery is low and the charger is in the car or something and I keep on asking Ryan for the keys but never loud enough or something, so I've just been going around without my Fitbit all day.




*actually, I'm not sure I AM subscribed to Saberspark, come to think of it. No, no, wait, I am, just through my Prince Pretzels account and not my normal account. (One I use primarily to create videos through, one I use primarily to watch videos through. And that's okay.)

**so far my own video has got, one view. I feel so famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment