Sunday, November 26, 2017

Plot Magic

Headed (past tense) back up to Idaho today. Wrote a lot in the car. A whole section's worth of writing, pounded out all in one technical sitting.

I didn't think I had enough material for section 20, but I was wrong turns out. Or I was right, but I managed to make it work anyway. The outline is mostly, well section 20 is the heist itself, and I already explained a lot of what would happen during the planning section, so the outline of section 20 is mostly stuff I talk about in section 19 of the book. Which didn't leave that much left. There was the modification of the plans now that they'd merged with Gef's team, that I still needed to get to, but that would hardly be enough for the 1,222 word minimum each section has now. 

And so I did the smart thing to do when faced with a wall.

I took a nap.

It's happened a couple of times now, where I've been faced with a problem of what to write, or even if I hadn't been faced with a problem but still perhaps needed more wordcount for the day or something. I nodded off with the story problems in the back of my mind, and some idea or another came to me.

For example, section 16, of three days ago, originally there hadn't been the thing where the Tooth Fairy gives the team the gift of speed for whatever reason, but I nodded off and the idea came to me that I should do that for some reason, and I wrote that in as a lark and that actually became a plot point solving how the money laundering magic would work.

And so I napped, in the car (not the only time it happened this trip either) and there it was, the question of money given by the tooth fairy if our money has a theoretical gold standard and supernatural money has an astrological standard, what's the reconciliation between that. And there was also some Cinderella thing which I wrote down but is unrelated. So I wrote a stream-of-conscious working out of the ramifications, and edited it later into smaller paragraphs with connective tissues.

I am tired, and am getting up early in the morning, but I still need 737 words to reach this section's 1,222-word wordcount. I'm almost halfway there, at least.

Also, being back in the apartment now, I checked where I thought my notes would be, and I was right that that's where the other stuff was, but the particular notes I was looking for weren't there. So I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment