Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Nanowrimo, Mamihlapinatapai, & Ordet

Today's the day that Other//half would have gone up had I not decided to go into NaNoWriMo this year instead (no TTDECBA post up yesterday, sorry about that I was tired and didn't know where to go with the story, but it's all good now; I've put in some connective tissue. Which makes me, two days behind, again, after catching up and everything, but there's going to be a long car ride home for Thanksgiving so it's not like I'll have anything else to do.) Also, URLs don't allow the "/" symbol in them, just letters numbers and the minus/dash sign, so I'm not sure how I would have done/will do that.

I decided at least to go to Comic Book Workshop this evening. Make some token advancement toward O/h, and it would give me something better to do than wait as my incredibly pregnant sister-in-law burst. The Workshop is doing a thing, like a comic book showcase that participants in the workshop can submit to, four pages max of comic, per person; I know how to use InDesign so I volunteered to be the one to assemble the digital file for print. Submissions are due on the 30th, so it looks like I've got half a month to get something Other//half-related done after all. Maybe I won't have it done by Friday, but the deadline is after then, so I may as well have submitted my comic by the time Justice League rolls out, and I'm the only one who would know any different since I'd be submitting to myself anyway.

I'm the only one, that is, besides all of you, whom I've just told.

Umm, shoot, I may have to kill you all now.

Naw, just kidding. Anyway, after Comic Book Workshop, whom should I run into as I step out of the room at the end but Nick and, um Mrs Nick, from Art Night. Hm, I should know her name, she was the one I designed the cat-astronaut tattoo for in that tattoo debacle. Weahhll I'll think of it. Anyway, they were checking out the Wayne Kimball exhibit, and I invited them to art night. Apparently they weren't sure if it was happening that day, so they went to Carla's house and didn't see anyone over so they decided to check to Wayne Kimball exhibit out instead. I told them it was indeed going on that week, just not last week, and so we, after spending a bit more time checking out the Wayne Kimball exhibit until it closed because oh muh gursh he is such a good artist, set out to art night together.

I showed them the shortcut I use to get there, and talked about um myself, I guess, since that was the subject of conversation.

Upon arriving at Carla's house, the lights were on but nobody seemed to be in the dining room, which you can see through the window. There were three of us, and I don't think even Yaghan has a word for three people exchanging looks when all three of them want something done but nobody wants to do it, so I rang the doorbell. Even if there hadn't been going to be art night that night, three people had just shown up, and that would instigate art night in just a de facto sense.

It turns out that there had been going to be art night that night, just nobody showed up, so they decided to eat dinner instead. In the kitchen instead of the dining room, and lit by candles instead of electricity because it's fun, so it hadn't looked like anyone was in there when in fact there was.

We ate Oreos in the candlelight, and instead of doing art we decided to watch a foreign film instead, that an art night friend whom I had not met before, also named Nick, wanted to show everyone. It's called Ordet, which probably means "The Word" in Danish, you know, most likely.

Ordet is probably my favorite Danish film now. It shares a director with The Passion of Joan of Arc, and an actress with Babette's Feast, the two other Danish films I can name off the top of my head and have seen. There's a childbirth gone wrong as a central plot point, which is pretty harrowing even on days when your sister-in-law isn't going into labor. As a film it's allegedly slow-paced, but I watch a lot of movies like that so I really didn't notice. But it's an amazing film, and I know I say that about almost every movie I see, but I try to learn at least 5 things from every movie (since when? since now) and I learned nothing but good things from this one. Not just as a film, but as a work of art that has a lot to say about Christianity and morality and mortality and the nature of faith.

Oh also I made S with Rumble this morning. Not even S- or anything. I'm really not sure if I deserve it, since I died precisely one more time this time than I did the last time I made "just" S-, with my kill/death/assist score being otherwise the same, but~~.

No comments:

Post a Comment