Friday, October 26, 2018

Continued Lessons from Inktober Participation

I've read that most artists who worry about selling out aren't really in a position to sell out in the first place, but I am here to tell you that every artist is always in a position to sell out; their selling out just wouldn't mean anything. Yesterday evening I completed one of my best pieces ever, and I'm super proud of it and I worked pretty hard on it, and... it hasn't gotten as many likes as some of my fanarts and/or whatever, which is fine of course but it shows us a thing or two. I really could achieve success super easily. But it's not about quality, so much as it is about showing people what they want to see. I guess that's something every artist has to discover for themselves?? Because it seems trite and obvious now that I write it out.

Though it didn't garner as many likes as I'd like hoped or whatever, my latest post did give me a couple of new followers... at least one of whom (or maybe one of the old ones) would of course drop me later, going by the fluctuating numbers of my account statistics. (Maybe it's because I didn't post at 8:30, the best time to post on Instagram IIRC? And they see that and they're all, well I don't need that then.) But like I'm looking through my followers, limited as they are, and I can't really pinpoint anybody dropping me because I don't post what they want to see. Someone who's into Batman and got on when I posted that Batman thing?? Still following me, though I haven't posted anything Batmany since. Someone who's into dinosaurs and got on when I posted that dinosaur thing?? Same deal. So whatever that's about, it's not about that. Maybe the numbers are just always wrong.

So. Subject matter gets you likes, quality gets you followers. Makes sense, and I'm sure that "post quality content!" is like rule number one on the lists of how to be a success on Instagram. I have read those, but their advise all seemed so... well, trite and obvious. I guess it's one thing to learn something, or even know it, but another to discover for yourself. Which also sounds familiar, like I already knew that... Though of course that's different from discovering it for myself.

Even through NaNoWriMo, I think, I am so keeping up with posting on Instagram once a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment