Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Muscle Memories, Tidbits on (Justified) Type, and Good vs Great Graphic Design

If I hadn't been just sitting here thinking for a few seconds, muscle memory would probably have forced me to adjust the settings from their default to change it to a 20 pt Verdana– but I've been sitting here long enough to realize that that IS the default text setting on this blog now and, man, that may take a while to get used to, I've been manually adjusting it to my preferred formatting for so long.

It would also be good if the text were justified instead of left-aligned; that's something I can manually adjust it to instead. Because, looking at this formatting, the ragging is a little unpredictable. Now instead, we can have rivers that run unpredictably! (Rivers means the word spacing in justified type that sort of lines up, in rivers, instead of the ragging being all over on one side.) That's a lot more of an issue with shorter lines of text, for obvious reasons– and between the large font and the recent readjustment of blog width, that's exactly a lot more of an issue now than it would be keeping either of the old formatting styles. Peeking over at a preview of this post, with this paragraph being justified and the top paragraph with the standard left-aligned formatting, I think the lines are just long enough to minimize river formation– blurring my eyes and focusing solely on the texture of the text, it's looking like a fine-marbled steak. Beautiful.

This isn't the first time it's occurred to me, of course, that I would have done a lot better on my graphic design homework if I'd actually put in any time or effort into it; maybe I would have been good enough to go for that BFA after all, and would still be in school for another semester or so, and would have gotten the chance to ever see McKenna again... Alright, it's the first time that's occurred to me (wcs) but it's not my first time realizing I don't have to be as poor a graphic designer as I gave myself credit for in school.

The difference between good graphic design and great graphic design is 20 hours.

Why does that have to be so true of everything else though too?

No comments:

Post a Comment