Sunday, October 14, 2018

Style and Substance (Of Text)

This is feeling a lot better, this design. Everything is so much more readable, between the shorter line length and the greater value contrast between foreground and background. That's my training as a graphic designer in play; now to engage my experience as a writer. Meaning, now to work on my prose, getting it so that it's easier to follow along? That just means proofreading, going back over everything and making sure my ideas are follow-able. I'm just one pair of eyes, but it should be easy enough, right? It's not a very nice space to be in, when you realize that even you yourself as the author of a text have a hard time following along as you read it...

Do you think that it may be, too easy to read, now? Because I can't tell. I get caught up in a rut, paying attention to the scansion of lines without paying attention to the words themselves; just going, yep my eyes can flick over and find the next line down easily, this is good design.

And this proofread (rhymes with lead) writing lacks character. It's so bland I can't stomach it; it's like nothing is having any effect. Especially with the legibility being so high that the words just slide down your retinas the way they do. What was the last sentence about? You know what I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment