Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Venom Stinger!

Working a shift at Fallon Theatre, taking people's concession orders and initiating the projector bootup sequence and helping figure out how to add items to the inventory system. And all that. I did have to miss VENOM but I did get to catch glimpses of the endier part, and, VENOM, man! 

Going back into the theater after the audience had all left but while the credits were still going on, we also got to catch the post-credits stinger. And... it's exciting. It's very, very...

It's a chunk of thing from Into the Spider-Verse, is what it is. There's a tag, like a comic book panel, which says Meanwhile in an Alternate Dimension... and there's a clip from Into the Spider-Verse. Or something. The events that happen in it don't occur even remotely close to how those same plot points play out in the trailers, so I don't know what's going on there, but...

There's, before the stinger, like how the licensed music is credited always at the tail end of the credits? The last of the songs listed was "Music from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" which I thought was interesting, wondered how that fit in there. I'm not sure if it's making credit to music that occurs after it or not, or if there's even Into the Spider-Verse music elsewhere in the film, but anyway.

It was great, obviously. The whole scene there. And the bit or so I saw of the rest was compulsively watchable (and the guy who directed this is the same guy who directed Zombieland? so there's that?) but that's not what I'm talking about (I just love monster movies, and this hits the right thematic beats for me, so I'm digressing on it) so watch me make a cognizant point here:

I don't know if there's Spider-traces elsewhere in this film, but I wouldn't need them even if there were, as much as I love Spider-Man. This is enough for me. Because knowing that Spider-Man is out there somewhere, even if in an alternate reality, makes Venom feel like it's the same universe as the Spider-Man. The same universe as the Webb Spider-Man and the Raimi Spider-Man and 616 Spider-Man and yes even the MCU Spider-Man. Just, any Spider-Man, the same way LEGO Batman is every Batman.

And it feels, exciting. This stinger. As exciting as the vague titillating promise at the end of Iron Man 1, the notion of a crossover franchise when such a thing hadn't really been done before. That exciting. Before it became commonplace. Christmas all over again. I'm not joking here.

It also kind of reminds me of there being a legally mandated X-Men stinger randomly after ASM2, but this one's the same company so it actually makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment