Friday, October 21, 2016

Belated Tom Cruise Day, Early Mole Day

We like to celebrate Tom Cruise Day, here at the Disney Villain Death blog. Apparently. October 6, every year! Missed it this year? A-ha, it only seems that way, because, no, you see, what actually happened was, I was waiting until Jack Reacher 2 came out, so that I could tell you all about it! Strange thing- Tom Cruise's name is synonymous with "Hollywood Celebrity," yet he's in precisely only one film franchise- or was, until today. For- rejoice, friends!- they have made another Jack Reacher movie, and it is awesome.

I realized a few days ago that it was the perfect situation, the very thing I'm trying to get with Moana and Spider-Man: Homecoming. I knew that Never Go Back was coming out, but I realized I didn't know a single thing about it, because I haven't been seeing trailers for it or anything. Alright, there's been a grand total of one- but it's 30 seconds and really vague about the plot, and 90% of what happens in it happens in the first 5 minutes of the movie, like they also did with the hanging-off-the-side-of-the-airplane sequence in Rogue Nation. Paramount are just really awesome when it comes to making their trailers for Tom Cruise movies I guess?

I must have been the only one under 40 in the theater at the showing I went to. Made me kind of self-conscious, feelin' like I'm not a "true" fan, having only gotten into Lee Child's novels after the first movie came out. Or something. Haven't even read One Shot or Never Go Back, the two books that have been adapted so far. And the ones I have read any of, I can't remember their names. But Tom Cruise is a common ground. Tom Cruise levels the playing field, for everyone. So by the end of the film, I guess I was okay with it.

It's a great movie. I can't really think of many movies this year I haven't thought that of, of course, but... I don't think any of the other movies I saw this year had Aldis Hodge in them, so, worth seeing just for him.

Tom Cruise Day being late, now onto Mole Day being early.

Mole Day is October 23 starting at 6:02 (a mole being 6.02...x10^23, of course,) which is a Sunday this year, so the chemistry department held it this afternoon instead. Starting at 6:02.

There was a race, running one mole of yoctometers- yoctometers are the measurement only surpassed in minisculity by the Planck length itself, and a mole of them comes out to just about 2 miles, moles are that large. There was also a costume contest, come dressed as a literary detective. At first I was going to go dressed as Jack Reacher (and was considering Ellery Queen before that) but caught a glimpse of my hair in a window coming back from that movie, and saw how I kind of had a cowlick, and had the sleeves of my sweater rolled up...

I went dressed as Tintin.

Lost the race, won the costume contest. $10 gift card to Fat Cats... Sweet, the only reason I didn't see Storks after Jack Reacher was because Jack Reacher got out like 5 minutes after Storks started... plus, I might have missed the Mole Day run had I stuck around.

The race was kicked off with the ignition of hydrogen balloons, instead of a starter gun. Supposed to have been lit at 6:02, but they make streamers fire-retardant nowadays, Who knew.

The two-mile route. I was off to an early start (who needs pacing?) but was passed by everyone else halfway past the McKay building.
The signs were helpful. I still got lost near the end, misremembering the map and thinking the direction arrow must have been wrong. Took the wrong right turn before looping the track, but it does equal out to the same distance. 

Note the symbolism of this photo: the sign in the foreground, and then the sign in the middle ground signifying what I was actually doing by this point.

Me and Nancy Drew.


International Cinema day- a bit of animation this time. Crazy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment