Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Think n' Grins (and Brad Bird, and Half-Restless Nights, and a Mensiversary)

Went to bed early (read that: fell asleep, (read that: begun my attempt to fall asleep in earnest) as I'd been "in bed" (read that: on couch) all evening anyway.) The clouds, spinning wheels, they'd turn clear if aligned properly, and I could only fall asleep once so many were cleared. And I could only attempt synchronizing clouds if I were truly in the right mindset, to sleep anyway, and I could hardly be that when my head constantly made its presence felt, and the couch fabric wouldn't let me forget its texture either. It's a good thing the electric blanket is so fleecy; the couch texture hadn't been a nuisance to me up till this point. (I should probably bring up the fact that I've been sleeping on the couch all semester, until four days ago when the stars aligned that my bed was free of junk preventing me from sleeping there, and my pajamas were finally laundried so I didn't have to sleep in whatever I happened to be wearing at bedtime. (Of course, being all mucusy, my pajamas are soiled again, which really leaves it up in the air how I'll tackle going to bed tonight.))

Woke up (read: ceased my attempt at falling asleep, or actually yeah I did get some actual sleep in there actually) at around 10:00, to engage my backup plan, 'netting around until I poop out. Discovered the new Dead Men Tell No Tales trailer, which doesn't really make me all that more stoked, except for, is that Guybrush Threepwood? Captain Salazar, and, Animalympics, have been haunting my shoals, swimming around at the back of my subconscious, all day. (Animalympics, man. Did you know that Brad Bird was an animator on that movie? And also apparently wrote the screenplay for *batteries not included? And, IMDb is telling me, played the part of the friggin' Monorail announcer in Jurassic World? Brad friggin' Bird, man.)

Those two shoalhaunters eventually lulled me off, I guess, to a wheelless cloudless sleep, or at least that's what was achieved come morning light (in reality there was a lot more halfwakeful fantasizing, delirious singing and mumbling to myself, and application of cold and couch cushion squeezemachinepressure to my head, but that all mellowed out to a mellow, thing, by the end of the night.) My brains no longer feel claustrophobic inside my skull, the inexplicable earache that oh yeah also showed up last night has gone away, and evidence of sickness has reduced itself to occasional mild headaches, a somewhat stuffy nose, above-average phlegm, and the fact that I'm still tired as all-get-out... none of which is all that abnormal for me.

So I could show up for class this morning. In time to discover that 7 prints were due for presentation, in a world where I've yet to ink any. But showing up was the important thing; it would've been not showing up that would've counted against me, while showing up without prints counted only as mild lack of preparedness, which counts against you zero points.

So we're good. We can move on.

And in the spirit of doing that, apparently it was exactly one month ago now, that Ryan and I went down to Provo to play board games with Andrew and Heather. I drew a couple of think n' grins in the car on the ride over there, meaning to scan and post them then, but I only got 'round to it now, today before Graphic Design class started.


1 comment:

  1. steak with one side...is that a moebius strip? very clever (though we always knew that about you. I'm so glad that Seal isn't broken.

    ReplyDelete