Thursday, October 13, 2016

Nick Bostrom: What happens when our computers get smarter than we are?

I'm not sure if you know this, but Ryan's got a new job finally (yay!) but it means that he needs to wake up early and that means he needs to go to sleep early (Aw.) My base of operations has been the bedroom lately, instead of the lounge (yessir we've got carpeting in here, not dropping this laptop again, and the outlets for the power cord are so much easier to reach!) or the living room (I'm still not sure I trust the couch, after sleeping on it all sicklike.) With me in the bedroom, and Ryan in the bedroom, and Ryan going off to sleep with me left in the dark, it's just been easier for the past couple of days just to go to bed early as well and putting in little effort to the blog, instead of staying up late and posting some last-minute thing like I usually would (not last-minute as in procrastination, mind you, but last-minute as in letting the blog topic simmer to ripeness.)

Not that anything's been happening this week either, of course... we did get two pizzas today, in reward for passing so many apartment cleanchecks with such flying colors. But that's about it. Think it's time for another video- using your knowledge from yesterday's post, can you tell how this video got embedded?

I've been sitting on this since about when it first came out- December of last year at any rate. I guess I never found a place to put it up, but found it in my archive of post ideas unpublished. Enjoy:


It's the Y2K problem of the new century-- making sure that computers have a system of morality built-in before they get all conscious on us. Totally wild, man. Beyond wild. (Whatever that would be. Trying to find some stronger vocabulary than "wild"... feral? Though used slangily that sounds more like a good thing, like "horrorshow." So I don't know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment