Friday, June 9, 2017

I Just Want Your Mummy Love

I didn't realize it until this year, with Monster Trucks and Kong: Skull Island coming out, and I didn't realize it until today, with the Mummy coming out (alright, technically tomorrow, but Thursday previews meant I could catch it today yay) but I love monster movies. lovelovelovelovelove. With The Mummy out now there's only one or two films left this year I'm anticipating. There's a whole ritual built around Spider-Man, so there's strong hype for that, from me, but... this is really the film that I didn't know I'd been looking forward to, this year.

I love Tom Cruise. I love the Mummy movies. I went in wanting to love it. Didn't walk out disappointed. I'll admit that I'm probably not the most objective critic when it comes to this.

It does a few really awesome pretty interesting this that I hope other movies start following, though I can't articulate what I mean by that. I don't know, like how people weren't making Rear Window movies until Rear Window came out, that kind of thing...? There were a few, iconic-style things, and I hope this film does well enough that they become iconic, savvy?

That, and also, alongside the, my loving monster movies, thing, how dope an interconnected canon of those would be, in this day and age, is another reason I'd love for this film to do well. Dark Universe is already apparently its own like subsidy of Universal, which means that there's a lot of weight being thrown behind this, and I mean they're going ahead with it no matter what since they've already got their own Green Lantern in the form of Dracula Untold (which I didn't even realize was a mainstream picture until I read that today; it's okay I guess a little weird but it just had the feel of one of those Euro indie movies, like Troll Hunters and everything,) but like the King Arthur movie was supposed to be the first in a franchise of five or six other movies, and with that film doing so poorly... hopefully Guy Ritchie gets around to making the third Holmes movie? Also, oooh more the Man from Uncle movies please.

Anyway.

It's implied at one point- and see, see how awesome this movie is- it's implied that, though this is the first film in a new cinematic universe, the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies take place in this same chronology. Even probably the third one, which nobody seemed to enjoy except for me. I'm not sure whether the implication was meant to be subtle or not, because I'm not sure how recognizable/iconic the Book of the Dead is, but I recognized it instantly. I hope they weren't just trying to be cute...

Wait, that would mean that all of those Scorpion King movies also take place in this movie's timeline, hmm... I've only seen, like, three of those...

No comments:

Post a Comment