Thursday, June 15, 2017

What Was Meant by Tragedy

I'm fine but not everyone is. It involves people I've never met before, or am barely acquainted with, but I feel connected as well somehow, personally.

I only found out about it after I made my post so early yesterday, but yesterday afternoon Ellen Natalie (of the webcomic Furry Experience) made the announcement of this family tragedy she'd announced last week, what that meant: that her husband had killed himself. (Full post here.) 

From my interviews with her I've learned that it was her husband who introduced her into the furry fandom in the first place, very near to their marriage, which directly led to her creating her webcomic which she's always signed as a Natalie- so in a very real sense, without her husband there never would have been a comic, and she and I never would have met nor been in communication- so the news hits me surprisingly deeply. I don't know.

And I'd had plans to collaborate with her on making a t-shirt design, but now that she's cut down to her single stream of income I can't see any way to approach her about it or anything with expectation of payment for it like you'd see in a typical similar business model; even if 100% of proceeds from those go to her how do I even bring up the idea without sounding, I don't know, wrongheaded? Saying how currently 100% of proceeds are already going to "charity" is a good lead, but I can't think of any way to broach the subject at this point in the game: if it's a genuine effort to help, I'm not making much revenue as it is on the business currently, so what would make me think that I'd be able to help in any real way? Sounds presumptuous, doesn't it? 

But I feel like I need to do something. This is too close to home for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment