Monday, June 5, 2017

Pretty Good Links

A rather humorous maybe kind of sacreligious I don't know essay from Percy Bysshe Shelley. Not sure I agree with very many of his points, but it is a gem.

If that didn't turn you into an atheist (or even if it did) try your hand at one (or more) of these quizzes, which test you on the internal validity of your own system of morality. Once again, I'm not sure if I believe everything they tell you when they point out exactly how logically inconsistent your ethical system is, like seriously I could go on for a whole thing why their whole premise why my logic is flawed, is flawed, but people tend to be resistant when you tell them to their face that they're totally wrong, and yeah I'm human... but it's totally on them though, it's been previously agreed that nobody's morally culpable for something out of their control, so even if Boris didn't have a choice in the assassination, he didn't have a choice not to have a choice, and he chose to kill regardless of whether his choice would have been made for him or not- pretty sure the ball's in their court on this one.

Alright here's what I'd been meaning to share anyway.
There's some interesting reads and plays there, including an essay on the history of the western concept of homosexuality and one on how biased so-called "personality tests" are, but what I'd like to point your attention to is the Predictive Psychology flash widget, which is actually a magic trick disguised as a different magic trick, using psychology to distract you from the psychology. It's... Just eat what we tell you to and don't question it.

Why does Ryan always seem to see through these things when I don't...

As long as I'm linking you to that Flash widget, have this page, which I've been sitting on for the better part of a decade now. It's the games page of the website of legendary Dutch screen actor Rutger Hauer. Yeah, he's got one of those.
You can play the memory match game with the objects-to-memorize-the-position-of being tiny little photographs of Rutger Hauer's face. It is as surreal as it is delightful.


No comments:

Post a Comment