Thursday, June 8, 2017

Trolley Trolley Trolley Get Your Quandaries Here

The philosophical quandaries, still, in my construction of morality/view of God. Is it consistent that morality is external to God but that God is omnipotent? Even if He commands us to do something previously outside the realm of morality, His commanding us to do it makes it immoral to disobey. If God's omnipotent, His commanding of us to do something inherently immoral makes that obedience moral?

Maybe. Sure. God is a conqueror, a warrior. A killer. The Lord can command Abraham to lie about his wife, he can command Peter to deny knowing him. The logic of the morality is perfectly consistent. Doesn't make my conception of God true or anything, of course, but...

One of the art night group, Lauren, made it down to BLFC last week. She's big into Kaiju apparently and that was the theme this year, so good for that. It was her first time going to a con without her parents, I believe. (Art night is on Wednesdays now to prevent scheduling conflict with the art seminars. Lauren (who is not the Greekish one) was of course not there last week, all bein' down in Reno and all, but she did get the memo in time of the changing of the schedule and thus did make it this week on the correct day.)

It fascinates me to no end how apparently reconcilable Mormonism is with the furry fandom. I've been over it before a bit, but- Lauren apparently sees no contradiction; Ellen Natalie, from my correspondence with her, sees no contradiction. Maybe I want there to be one. I myself see contradiction there. But I see contradiction in the doctrine itself, tying religion to spirituality somehow.

More moral quandaries, meanwhile: (let's say everything is the trolley problem, thus, this is the trolley problem.) Class today. The big project in Information Design class begins, and we are to have a project. I chose, well at first, Mormon perspectives and attitudes about transgender issues. But that's a problematic topic. If mishandled, it could result in people, questioning their faith or anything, when the topic's too narrow, and not balanced enough. Do I divert the trolley onto the path of a presentation about neckbeards? Or do I keep the trolley on the track, with much greater ethical rewards (educating people and making them evaluate their own attitudes) but also more bodies tied to the tracks there?

TASK Party in a week, anyway, in the Kirkham building instead of at JimJam's house, because the place was just so packed last semester's TASK party.

No comments:

Post a Comment