Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Spider-Man Christmastime and "Strange Major Changes"

Just 22 days till Thursday preview showing of Spider-Man: HomecomingPretty sure that I can say, without an ounce of hyperbole, that I don't think I've ever been as excited for anything in my life. Not even Christmas as a kid. Not even Zootopia. Think of it this way: Christmas you're so excited to know what you're going to get that you do everything in your power to guess the gift, including feel the gift and hoist it and maybe even take a peek. And once that's happened the magic's all ruined (learned this firsthand from Zootopia. But gosh what a great film.) 

Spider-Man: Homecoming, on the other hand, is like Christmas, only instead of trying to figure out what your gift is early, you're trying to avoid knowing what you're getting while meanwhile everything in the universe is conspiring against you to tell you exactly what's underneath that wrapping paper. It is a thrillride.

Wrote a piece today at Pretzelize Me, Cap'n!, which you should read all 2,498 words of, otherwise what I'm going to say next isn't going to make any sense to you (don't worry, there is a picture which takes up 1,000 of those words.) I've spoken to both Mica Webb and Kevin Orme since posting that up, both of whom are frequent classmates of mine, both graphic design students (though Kevin's taken a shine to an animation emphasis as of last semester,) and who were both at the Biomat at the same time as I was today (my, blood protein level is back up from the last blood sample taken; every time they take a sample my total protein's just half a tich too low and so I have to come back in and get another one done until it turns out well. Fun.) 

Mica, doing a watercolor of Amy(?) from Sonic the Hedgehog into their little notebook, says that they thought that I already was a photography major, and that an illustration major isn't anything you can't teach yourself, and that most illustration majors just wind up doing graphic design anyway. Kevin, working on a timeline for when the characters in the animation project he's doing, says he thinks, from previous classes where he's seen my stuff, that I'm a pretty good photographer, but agrees with the fact that illustration is a closer degree to graphic design and would be easier/make more sense to get into. Me, I still totally want to do some of that character reference sheet stuff, and if I were to go for photography, I'd have to chose which kind, whether product or event or portrait or whatever, and making such decisions about how to cripple my art (into one genre) is not anywhere remotely near my wheelhouse.

There's still the Task party tonight, starts in about 15. Let's see if Brothers Huntsman or Adkinson are there...

No comments:

Post a Comment