Sunday, June 4, 2017

On Above-Average Design

Actually might be able to make this. I mean of course I will. Design-wise, I'm doing my darndest but it's still going to come out subpar and it would even if I had the full length of the project to work on this; they say to compare your own work against professionals' instead of fellow students', but for me, I can't tell the difference, it all looks so... beyond me. 

Maybe I was a bit glib in the latest vlog (which analytics is telling me nobody actually watched, so I'm free to claim anything about it as much as I want and nobody'd be able to contradict me,) saying how relatively easy it is to get above-average design. For shirts and other pedestrian screenpress uses, perhaps. But actual design design... there's a reason it's the least stretching of all the standards, just being "above average," in the 50th percentile, instead of having to surpass any standard deviations.

Also something about how I said how relatively easy it is to be dedicated past the first standard deviation- it's true that many people probably aren't dedicated, and I don't consider myself among them, but then watching something like Jiro Dreams of Sushi, or The Social Network, true stories about people with autistic single-mindedness for greatness (Mark Zuckerberg is portrayed as a bit of a jerk, but listening to Jesse Eisenberg's interpretation of the character is enlightening)... Well, that doesn't discount the non-devotees, I s'pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment