Friday, June 2, 2017

More Midterms Projects: Plugging and Chugging

Finished off the how-to project design today. Among the to-dos of tomorrow are getting that printed and mounted, pasting the old drafts into the process book, and meanwhile continuing the research for the visualization project: head down to Paradise Doughnuts to interview regarding the kilowatt hours required to fry doughnuts, how many doughnuts can be cooked at once, and how much oil it takes to do so; the answers I'm getting online to those questions have been kind of mealy-mouthed. (The idea is to figure out how many doughnuts can be fried using the kilocalories converted into kilowatt hours of 100 doughnuts.)

I am aware that today is national doughnut day. I'd been really hoping that there'd be some fascinating and useful doughnut facts posted up on newssites and in papers, which I'd be able to use for this project, but no dice?

(Two projects so far in information design class, create a strictly visual how-to poster (and also app,) and design an infographic detailing facts and metrics regarding anywhere from 50-100 of any chosen item, in my case doughnuts. The card tower how-to from last semester I repeated, but with completely different tack this time; I chose doughnuts instead of shoes for the 100 things project because of this Wondermark; we're not doing the LEGO visualizations  app project this semester which is a darn shame because I really liked the conceit I had last semester regarding it.)

At this rate I just may pass the class (depends on how mercifully the month-late how-to project will be graded, and also whether I do well on the other thing); whether that'll be enough to get a C average or better has yet to be seen.

1 comment: